Sunday, February 23, 2014

Blog Post #6 PLN's What Are They?

What is a PLN?
PLNs are both people and tools that I, or anyone, can use for the collaboration of information for projects, to help answer questions, research tools, and tools that can help collaborate with other teachers that may blog or tweet information that is of particular interest to you. PLNs are rich in networking tools and collaborative tools and are able to bring, (literally), a whole world of information and make it available at the click of a few buttons. It is overwhelming and exciting all at once to learn about all that is out there and available to anyone willing to access it.
How can PLNs help me as a teacher?
What comes to mind first is PLNs can help me establish a solid network in which to gather information about anything that might concern what we are learning in the classroom as well as the most effective ways to teach it. What teachers once had to learn through years of trial and error is now available to me as a new teacher to be able to benefit from. I feel as if I have just stuck my toe into the very tip of an ocean of information but it is a process that can benefit me from the very start. As a new teacher, I can see using these tools as a way to get insight from teachers who have been in the classroom for long periods of time.
How can I create a PLN?
When I first read this question without having visited the links attached, I was clueless as to who I would incorporate into my PLN and even how to create a PLN. After watching the video by Michael Fawcett , I realize that through browsing Twitter and connecting to other teachers and their blogs, I can find a network of teachers that interest me and that I feel that I can benefit from. It is really just a process of browsing different network sites and also blogs that fellow teachers subscribe to in order to be able to begin the building process of my own PLN.
Who will be the first additions to my PLN?
My first is my EDM310 instructor, Dr. John Strange
The second would be my assigned teacher in for C4T, Andrea Hernandez. Edtechworkshop.com Andrea is a very creative teacher that is not afraid to try new things. I feel that I could learn a lot from her.
These are just the beginning of a long list of PLN’s!
picture of boy surrounded by social websites

2 comments:

  1. Twitter has become very helpful for me as a future educator. I started following one of my C4T's when I took this class and he has introduced me to many resources via Twitter!

    Very good content! Have fun creating your PLN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancee,

    I felt the same way at first about who would be in my PLN and how I would go about assembling one. But the more I thought about it the more people I thought of to include in my PLN. Great inclusion of links in your post as they are very helpful in educating others of ways to go about using a PLN. Check the Title modifier on your image because it does not seem to be working for me. Other than that, keep up the good work and great post!

    Mitchell

    ReplyDelete